You may be wondering what the term Collective Impact means?
It involves bringing multiple people and organizations together to develop ideas and solutions to a complex social issue. In the case of Minus 9 to 5, the issue is improving early care and education for children and their families in Hampton Roads.
Using collective approach to addressing issues gives greater impact than if one organization tackled an issue alone. Rather than looking for one solution or funding a single program, collective impact brings together diverse organizations to accomplish common goals.
There are five hallmarks of collective impact:
- A common agenda that defines the shared vision for change and ensures that everyone is focused in the same direction.
- A shared system of measurement with key indicators used to measure the impact toward the vision.
- Mutually reinforcing activities that work together.
- Continuous communication within and across organizations
- A backbone staff of people coordinating the work of the initiative.