The Community Connections Working Group coordinates and aligns health, education and community programs for young children and their families. Partners include nonprofits, faith-based organizations, government agencies, hospitals and school divisions.
Our current priorities are:
- Promote the KidsPriorityOne.org database so organizations can help families access resources.
- Convene school divisions to align the kindergarten registration process across the cities.
- Promote Text 4 BABY app for pregnant moms and their families.
- Establish a public service campaign about the important role families play in helping their babies and pre-school children develop.
“It is my hope that we can identify targeted best practice solutions to build strong and stable families, customize them for South Hampton Roads and implement them so they reach the most at-risk families.”Thaler McCormick, For Kids
Community Connection Members:
- Uliase Addison, The Mount
- Tina Alsop, Virginia Beach City Public Schools
- Peter Baker, Old Dominion University
- Sue Burton, Portsmouth Reads
- Leslie Clarridge, Reach
- Rosalind Cutchins, Children’s Center
- Sam Fabian, Children’s Hospital of the Kings Daughter
- Brenda Garrett, Kids Priority One
- Jenny Golf, Reach
- Rick Gonzalez, River Oak Church
- Jett Johnson, Healthy Portsmouth
- Dr. Kerry Lambert, Training & Technical Assistance Center
- Barb Lito, Virginia Beach Grow Smart
- Jennifer McElwee, City of Virginia Beach
- Cherise Newsome, Portsmouth Public Schools
- Kimberly Philmon, YMCA South Hampton Roads
- Martha Razor, WHRO
- Mary Riley, Chesapeake Human Services
- Lelia Tynes, Norfolk Public Schools
- Ta-Tanisha Walton, Norfolk Public Schools
- Adia White, Hampton Roads Community Foundation
- Leah Williams, Community Volunteer