The Thriving Families Working Group helps give families the knowledge and resources they need to nurture their children. Attention is placed on the family’s critical role in their child’s development.
- Facilitate focus groups with parents to identify family needs and challenges.
- Promote KidsPriorityOne.org so families can find and use Hampton Roads resources.
- Align parent education programs across the region so parents can easily find them.
“The Minus 9 to 5 initiative is committed to understanding the unmet and recurring needs of families with young children – and in only a short time, has identified clear pathways for wide-ranging, community impact.”Brenda Garrett, KidsPriorityOne.org
Thriving Families – Group Members:
- Mary Allsbrook, Christian Broadcasting Network
- Elizabeth Batista-Boone, VB Human Services Department
- Anne Bruehl, Children’s Center
- Jennifer Brown, Suffolk Libraries
- Julie Dixon, The Planning Council
- Navine Fortune, Norfolk State University Child Development Lab
- Brenda Garrett, Kids Priority One
- Sharon Houston, Garden of Hope Gethsemane Baptist Church
- Christy John, Virginia Infant & Toddler Specialist Network
- Dranika Kelley, Portsmouth Child Protective Services
- Bari Kraus, Square One
- Tracie Kunkle, Norfolk Public Schools
- Andrea Long, Up Center
- Brenda O’Donnell, Suffolk Early Childhood Commission
- Natalie Riley, Portsmouth Department of Social Services, Foster Care
- Michele Tryon, CHKD–HRPEN Parent Education Network
- Elexia Washington, Portsmouth Redevelopment And Housing Authority