FINDING CHILD CARE…
All children—especially infants and toddlers—need a child care setting where they can thrive with caregivers who understand how to promote their healthy growth and development. Young children need a schedule that is responsive to their needs, including appropriate stimulation and time to rest. They need to be talked to and played with. They need love and attention. And they need the opportunity to form the kind of comfortable, secure relationship with a caregiver that will nurture their healthy emotional development.
TOP RESOURCES FOR FINDING CHILD CARE:
Va Childcare Aware -Search for Child Care or call 1-866-KIDS-TLC
Paying For Child Care– The Child Care Subsidy Program through Virginia Department of Social Services
Portsmouth Preschool Option
Families are encouraged to visit the Virginia Department of Social Services to review provider inspections
Early Learning Resources from the experts at Zero to Three– How to find the best child care setting for your child
Pre-K activities for strong mental health National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health
Early Childhood Success Indicators in the Hampton Roads Region– See examples of early education success indicators in the chart below:
ADDITIONAL COVID-19 RELATED FAMILY RESOURCES:
- Department of Social Services COVID-19 Resources – EVERYTHING in one place
- Guidance on supporting mask wearing for children (download) from Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters
- Proper Mask Wearing Graphic (download)
- Surviving Online Learning – Resources provided by Chesapeake Public Schools, Family and Community Engagement
- Webinar recording: Building Resilience During Stressful Times
- Tips and Resources for Virtual Learning– Resources and ideas shared during EVMS Parent Chat webinar
- Resources 757.org – A directory of resources for residents of Greater Hampton Roads and COVID-19 Assistance
- GHR Connects– Statewide COVID-19 data and local food distribution sites
- Meals4Kids-Interactive map from USDA locating food programs for families nationwide.
- Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern Shore- Information about donations and distribution updates Text 877-877 and type FOOD or COMIDA for distribution information
- The Up Center is providing counseling and support via telehealth for all ages.
- Corona Aid 757– Neighbor to neighbor mutual aid site for those seeking assistance with basic needs or those willing to volunteer