Will your child be 5 by September 30th?
If so, NOW is the time to register for Kindergarten.
STEP 1: READY
Children start learning as soon as they’re born, and YOU are your child’s first and most important teacher – a role you will play all of their life. There are teachable moments you can use to prepare your child for school every day.
Get your child ready for school. Help them:
- Read and look at books every day
- Stick to a regular bedtime and wake-up time
- Practice counting real objects – like cereal or crayons
- Talk about their feelings and what kindergarten will be like
- Meet and play with other children their age
- Show respect and use good manners
- Find and name letters of the alphabet everywhere you go
- Visit and explore libraries, parks, and museums
- Use scissors to practice cutting and crayons to draw
- Teach them to put their things away make a special place for toys/books
Remember: on time, all day, every day!
Starting in kindergarten, a lot of missed days can cause your child to fall behind. Attending school on a regular basis makes your child feel better about school and themselves.
STEP 2: SET
Children who are 5 years old by September 30 can start kindergarten this fall. But first, they need to be registered. Registration starts in early spring. Find information specific to your school district by clicking on your district’s link below.
You will need to bring:
- Original copy of child’s birth certificate
- Recent physical (dated within 1 year of the first day of school)
- Immunization records
- Proof of address: current utility bill, lease, and/or home contract
- Registration packet for your school division (found below)
What if I don’t have all the forms I need?
It’s okay, you should still begin the process. Call the school with questions about missing forms.
What if my child is in Head Start or Public Preschool?
Contact your child’s new school for registration instructions.
STEP 3: REGISTER
Go to the school your child will attend to register.
For specific questions about kindergarten registration, please contact your school district.
For more information on registration for your school division, see your city’s school division website.
Links to Download Required Documents:
Certified Birth Certificates for births that occurred in Virginia
Certified Birth Certificates for births outside of Virginia